Tuesday 6 January 2015

Reading the Morlands: "The Oak Apple", pt 1

So, it's been a while!  Sorry about that. A couple of illnesses and then the chaos that is December has meant that as well as not blogging, I've not actually been reading. I think I finished one book in November, and none in December at all!

But now it's a new year, and a cleaning frenzy before having guests over New Year's revealed that the latest of my Morland reads, "The Oak Apple", had hidden itself beneath the sofa, so now I'm back to it!

Currently at p191

Before it slid beneath the sofa for six weeks, I'd read about the first 115 pages. On picking it up again I did find myself a little confused about what was going on, and I'm sure there are some elements I'm missing having not gone back to skim what I'd already read. I do appreciate the family tree in the front of the book, although I wish the print was larger!

Perhaps if I had gone back and skimmed I'd be more confident about just what the family's attitudes are in terms of religion: I know they were Very Catholic previously, but they seem to have moderated a little - for the sake of survival, perhaps? - and it's clear at this point that all but one part of the family will NOT be Puritans unless forced. 

Other thoughts: Edmund seems to be a slight improvement on recent Morland heirs - entirely undone by Richard, sadly. Hamil is a git of the first order, and Mary Esther is a delight. 

All in all, I'm glad to be back with the Morlands again after a lengthy break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment